A marketing team may comprise of individuals working on very different campaigns — from digital ads and SEO, to content and creative design, to affiliates and partnerships. With so much pressure to perform in their specific area, it is not uncommon for marketing professionals to feel meetings are a waste of their precious time. But it is critical to bring team members together to challenge the status quo and ensure they are working together and supporting each other to achieve business goals.
This can be achieved with a structured, efficient weekly team check-in. A week is usually a good period in which to assess the the efficacy of experiments and course-correct where need be, especially with the consensus of fellow marketing experts.
Marketing also requires a LOT of planning, so it is important that team members have ample opportunity to discuss upcoming plans and campaigns, particularly where their work involves others. The agenda can be adjusted as needed by the team.
For Meetric users, we recommend using this template as follows:
- Copy the template into your meeting notes in Meetric against your Marketing Team Meeting, and adjust it as you see fit. (Don't worry, you can refine it over time!)
- Share the link in the meeting event (if your team is all on Meetric, they will already have access). It may be helpful for them to collaborate on the agenda to put in relevant details, but at a minimum, marketing managers should at least be ready to talk about their campaigns and experiments.
- Before you launch into business, do a quick check-in, allowing people to talk a bit about their weekend or personal life, good or bad. You may even try an Icebreaker to energise the group!
- Step through the agenda, one-by-one, making sure not to spend too long on any one item (using the Meetric Timer to stay on track!).
- Record important notes and actions below the relevant agenda items. Make sure to assign owners and due dates if relevant. Visibility leads to accountability!
- Save a few minutes at the end (thanks to the Meetric timer), to review the actions coming out of that meeting. Use the icons beside the meeting details at the top of the notes to quickly filter your notes just for the actions. Clarify and add detail where necessary. Pro-tip: add a due date in order to trigger reminders!
- At the end of the meeting, send a recap to make sure everyone has a record.
- At your next team meeting, (after the check-in/icebreaker of course), you can quickly review outstanding actions from past meetings using the Time Machine.